Sunday, October 23, 2011

Greek Chicken Pita Party

I had the lucky opportunity to go to our state fair this week.

And I consumed the following:
Greasy Steak and cheddar sandwich [half]
Ribbon Fries [x2]
Fried cookie dough
Corn on the Cob [slathered in butter]
Chicken Gyro
Cotton Candy [a pinch or three]
Fried Dough
Lemonade

When I write it all down like that, it seems much more gluttonous than it did when I ate it. But no worries, I had help from my in-laws. They are big fans of taking on the fair buffet style.

I'm not going to lie, I enjoyed every bite of it. Until it all made a big-fried-fair-party in my stomach. Then I regretted it immensely.

What I don't regret was the Chicken Gyro. It was greek and juicy and slathered in tzatziki sauce. And probably the healthiest item at the fair.

It reminded me of the Greek Chicken Pita at Zoe's Kitchen.

#1 Zoe's Kitchen is a life changer.
 #2 Greek Chicken pita is too.

It's all saucy and greek with a smattering of feta cheese on it.

Tonight we relived the fair. [And Zoe's Kitchen]. All from our cozy couch.


Greek Chicken Pita

Marinade:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red or white wine vinegar
4 tsp oregano
2 tsp sugar
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 tsp feta cheese
1 dash cayenne pepper

4 Tbsp feta cheese
4 Pita shells

1 lb chicken breasts or tenderloins

4 pieces of lettuce
4 slices of tomato
1 cup tzatziki dip : Greek Tzatziki Dip

Mix olive oil, vinegar, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper, feta and cayenne. Marinate chicken in half of marinade. (Set other half to the side.) Marinate for 1 hour.

Grill chicken at 350-400 degrees for 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Pour other half of marinade over cooked chicken and let seep in for 1 minute before slicing to add to pitas.

Assemble pitas: Add Chicken, lettuce, tomato, tzatziki dip, and feta cheese.

"May the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you." Numbers 6:24