Sunday, October 9, 2011

If I were a pancake

If I were a pancake, I'd be tan, fluffy and round, with a little crunchy butter-induced edge around my middle.  I may have just described an oompa loompa. Anywho, in my fantasy world pancakes cooperate. In real life, notsomuch.

But I eat them and I love them anyway. Since I have been old enough to cook pancakes, I've watched my parents whip up letters and shapes and flip them with all their fluffy goodness like it was nobigdeal. And then I took a turn at it. And failed. I finally decided that messy and unperfect pancakes taste just as yummy as perfect letter and mickey mouse shaped pancakes do. And my stomach doesn't know the difference.

So I forge on.

Today, I am enjoying my anniversary weekend at my in-law's gorgeous beach house. Hello, sunset:



And since we just got here yesterday, it means I don't have eggs in the house. But I want need pancakes. And there is also no pancake mix. So I mustered up the courage to make some pancakes from scratch. Yup. Apparently failure doesn't bother me. If I can mess up easy-to-make pancakes, who in their right mind thinks I can make them from scratch. Me. I do.

So after scanning online, I came up with a recipe that worked. (If you ignore my lack of flipping-at-the-appropriate-timing-skills). And they were fluffy, round and delicious!!



Cinnamon No-Egg Pancakes

1 cup All Purpose Flour
3 Tablespoons Sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon cinnamon

3 tablespoons butter for frying pancakes.

1. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter and water.
3. Mix butter/water mixture with dry ingredients, stirring with a whisk for 1 minute for added fluffyness. It is okay if batter is slightly lumpy.
4. On a frying pan over medium-medium-high heat, cook pancakes in batches, using 1/2 Tablespoon butter  each 2-3 pancakes. Times will vary, each pancake will need to cook on each side 1-2 minutes to desired color.

Makes 12 Sandollar sized pancakes. Serve with fresh fruit and dollops of butter and syrup or honey as you like!

"Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. " Psalm 37:4