Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankfulness


Today is a day for giving thanks.

For gathering around the table with the people you love, or the people you've just met, and invited into your home.

For appreciating the people in your life and reflecting on the year that you've had.

I thought about my family and the year we've had. And it was a doozie.

My big sister and her family moved to Texas.

I found out my little sister is also moving 1.5 hours away in January.

My in-laws had a house fire and had to vacate their home.

I lost my job.

And yet, I am so grateful amongst all of these trials that happened this year.

Because, you see, God didn't just stop there.

There was a mountain after the valley.

Last weekend, I went to visit my big sister in Texas, and she loves it there. And I can see her building a beautiful home away from home in Texas.

My little sister is moving 1.5 hours away to follow her dreams of becoming a nurse.

My in-laws got the okay to move back into their upgraded and dazzling RENEWed home, yesterday.

I got a brand new job. And it rocks.

God doesn't just bring a valley into our lives and then walk away. He has a plan. And the plan usually involves a lot of time on our knees, begging. And it involves a lot of people in your life coming together and surrounding you with love. And then we find ourselves, once again, on our knees, in thanks.

I am so thankful life isn't easy.

And that, amidst all the heartache, pain, and trouble in this world, there is beauty. Beauty so grand, that it can only be seen from a mountaintop. A mountaintop that we could only find, on our way up out of the valley.

Happy Thanksgiving!

"In everything give thanks." 1 Thessalonians 5:18