Monday, August 8, 2011

Till the salmon sing in the street...


So there's been this poem on my mind today. It is a beautiful poem that makes me happy because it tries to explain how when you love someone, it can be a grand and silly feeling of extraordinary volumes...

Thank you W.H. Auden:
"As I walked out one evening,
Walking down Bristol Street,
The crowds upon the pavement
Were fields of harvest wheat.

And down by the brimming river
I heard a lover sing
Under an arch of the railway:
'Love has no ending.

'I'll love you, dear, I'll love you
Till China and Africa meet,
And the river jumps over the mountain
And the salmon sing in the street,

'I'll love you till the ocean
Is folded and hung up to dry
And the seven stars go squawking
Like geese about the sky."


I imagine God feels that way about us. I imagine too, that he is capable of  extraordinary things like asking salmon to sing in the street, and could physically make China and Africa meet, but that would mean there would be an end to His never-ending-unfathomable-BIG-big love for us. God loves us past the impossible and the extraordinary things. His love does not end when miracles begin. And for that, I am grateful.