Monday, April 22, 2013

crockpot sausage and peppers


Being a working mom is crazy. 

Sometimes I wonder how I get everything anything done.

My advice? Lots of lists. (Color coded of course). And caffeine. And crockpot meals.


This little dumpling, she is worth every crazy working-mom-minute. I truly relish the moments when I don't have to stand over a stove and cook while Lucy plays on the floor beside me. 

I relish the chance to "be still" and get on the floor and play right along with her. To become the mountain that she climbs on, the drum that she whacks her toy against, and the and the lap that she loves to cuddle in. 

Which is why I love my crockpot.

And you will love your crockpot too, when you whip up this spicy concoction of wonderfulness. Spicy and tangy with gooey pepper jack cheese melting over onions and peppers and sausage. It's almost as delicious as the "rest" you enjoy while it's cooking away without your help.



Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
1 tbsp olive oil
8oz jalepeno chicken sausage (or pork)
1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 can beer (I used Guinness) 
3 tbsp italian seasoning
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, sliced thinly
1 bell pepper, sliced thinly
salt and pepper, to taste
4 hoagie rolls
4 pepper jack cheese slices

Combine diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, beer, italian seasoning, garlic, onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper in a crockpot. 

Sautee chicken sausage links in olive oil for 2-3 minutes to brown the outsides of the link. Slice links in half and add to crock pot and submerge in liquid. 

Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours and serve on hoagie rolls. Top with cheese.

*   *   *

“Stand firm and you will see the deliverance The Lord will bring you today…The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” (Exodus 14:14)