Monday, April 30, 2012

Apple Pie Parfait

Last week, we were blessed to see our little bean blossom from a teeny little blob on a 6 week ultrasound into a kicking, wriggling baby at our 18 week ultrasound!

It was more than beautiful. 

It makes the entire pregnancy seem more real and tangible. 

Little feet kicking away and a little face nuzzling up against me. Precious doesn't even begin to describe it.

And it makes me completely sympathetic when I   baby finds itself craving things like apple pies.

I mean, why would baby NOT crave a warm and crunchy, cinnamon-y apple pie?

I have completely underestimated the magnificence of the creation of the apple pie. 

Until now.

Ever since the little bean has graced my womb, I had never longingly drooled at the thought of crunchy and crispy pie crust and warm apples dancing in my mouth. 

Longingly... as in morning, noon, and night.


And I will admit, pregnant or not, it is completely inappropriate to have an apple pie as an afternoon snack. 

So baby and I made a compromise.

Because, at 2 in the afternoon, it is completely, 100% appropriate to have an apple pie parfait

So far, we make a pretty great team.

Pregnant or not, you will not be disappointed. It is creamy and crunchy and full of all of the important things you or baby need in your life [like dairy and fruit and maybe even a little butter]. 


Apple Pie Parfait
1 apple, sliced into 1/2" cubes
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp brown sugar
2/3 cup vanilla yogurt (I used Greek)
1/4 cup granola

In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, and saute apples, cinnamon, and sugar until apples have a slight cinnamon-sugar glaze on the outside and have lost a little bit of their bite. (I left mine slightly firm but soft on the outside.) 

Layer yogurt, granola, apples. Repeat. Eat.

Makes 2 small or one large parfait.

"All beautiful you are, my darling; there is no flaw in you." Song of Soloman 4:7