Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Grecian Potato Giggles

Growing up, my parents were awesome about having us down together as a family and having dinner.

My parents were excellent cooks and I'm about to introduce you to one of their concoctions. I think the two of you will get along merrily.

Grecian Potatoes. Greek Potatoes. Potatoes of the Greeks.


I'm not even really sure that Grecian is a word. My parents used it when they talked about these potatoes. So therefore it is. A word. Add it to your dictionary.

They made these about once every couple of weeks and we always scarfed them down.

My sisters and I would sit around the table and talk, incessantly taking turns when someone stopped for a breath. And somehow, or some way, we would always end up in fits of giggles.

Over nothing.


Like laughing so hard Greek potatoes may or may not come out your nose. Ok thatneverhappened.

But what did happen was the laughter got to such a ridiculous level that my dear father, bless his heart, would quietly take his plate of food, and walk into the living room without nary a word. And he would finish his dinner in front of the TV.

Where 3 teenage/pre-teen girls were not giggling themselves into hyperventilation.

And after he left we would say"sheesh dad, get a sense of humor." Laughing yourself into hysterics is SO not annoying.

Again, I say: bless. his. heart.

With one sister in Texas, and another with one foot out the door to move away, I miss those moments. And I can't wait for the day when we can all gather around the table for dinner again. For magical fits-of-giggles moments.


Let me introduce you to the magical ingredient.

For about $3.99 you will be thankful to add it to your spice cabinet. And it absolutely has everything to do with the *Ancient Greek Formula*.


It comes packed with flavors of garlic, salt, pepper, "parsley and five other spices" (which I'm guessing are part of the secret ancient greek formula.)


Make it. You won't regret it. And it may or may not make you break out into fits of Grecian Potato Giggles.


Grecian Potatoes
1.5 lbs baby yellow potatoes, cut in half
2 TBSP EVOO
2 TBSP Cavenders All Purpose Greek Seasoning
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup onion, diced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut potatoes, and onion, and toss with EVOO, garlic, and seasoning.

Bake for 30 minutes, turning potatoes 2-3 times until tender and crispy.

                 *                                           *                                                   *


Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin?”  The angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God. 

And behold, even your relative Elizabeth has also conceived a son in her old age; and she who was called barren is now in her sixth month. For nothing will be impossible with God.” 

And Mary said, “Behold, the bondslave of the Lord; may it be done to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her. Luke 1:34-38